High School Biology Curriculum
- The concept of cellular organization
- To know the structure and function of the organelles found within the cells of plants and animals
- Understand the composition and function of the cell membrane
- Explain the four levels of cellular development (cellular, tissue, organ & system)
- How do Plant and Animal cells compare?
- Discuss the differences between the organelles of the plant and animal cells
- What is the Cell Theory and what are itís' exceptions?
- How was the cell theory developed?
- What were the important technological advancements helping to bring about the development of a cell theory?
- What are the statements making up the theory?
- What are the three exceptions to the cell theory?
- What are the Life Functions necessary for an organism to be classified as living?
- How do we recognize the 10 functions all organisms must perform in order to be considered alive (MRS GREAT RN)?
- When all life functions are in balance the organism has maintained Homeostasis.
- Introduction to the interactions of living things with their non-living environment.
- Explain the relationship between the Biotic and Abiotic environments
- What are the three types of ecological pyramids and how are they important to understanding an ecosystem?
- Describe how carrying capacity impacts a population living within a community.
- How does one type of organism replace another over time within the ecosystem (succession)?
- How do Plants obtain their nutrition (Autotrophic Nutrition)?
- Discuss the importance of photosynthesis.
- How does photosynthesis occur (introduce the basic formula)?
- How is chemosynthesis different from photosynthesis?
- How do Animals obtain their nutrition (Heterotrophic Nutrition)?
- How does the animal depend on the plant and other animals for a source of nutrition (food chain and food web)?
- Introduction to Biochemistry (Atomic Theory, Bonding [valance electrons, types of bonds], Acids and Bases
- How is the atomic theory important to the understanding of basic chemistry?
- How does the understanding of the Bohr atom help in understanding of bonding?
- What are the three types of bonding found in chemistry?
- Describe the importance of understanding the concept of bonding and biology?
- How are acids and bases chemically different?
- How do we measure the relative strengths and weakness of acids and bases?
- What are the elements of organic chemistry?
- What makes a chemical compound organic?
- How are organic compounds synthesized (dehydration synthesis)?
- How are organic compounds broken apart (hydrolysis)?
- How does cellular respiration occur?
- How is respiration important to the organism?
- What is the difference between respiration and breathing?
- How does aerobic and anaerobic respiration compare?
- What is aerobic respiration?
- What is anaerobic respiration?
- How do these two forms of cellular respiration compare?
- How does photosynthesis occur?
- What is photosynthesis?
- What are some of the limiting factors affecting photosynthesis?
- What makes up an Ecosystem?
- Describe the different types of Abiotic factors found in every ecosystem.
- How do Abiotic factors impact the performance of the biotic factors?
- How are the habitat and niche important to organisms within a community?
- What is the relationship between symbiosis and interspecies competition?
- How is mutualism different from commensalisms and parasitism?
- How does having two related species with the same niche and habitat effect each of the species living within the same habitat?
- How have Human activities impacted the environment?
- What are some activities of humans that have cause a negative impact on the environment?
- What are some human activities that have had a positive impact on the environment?
- How do the representative organisms maintain homeostasis?
- What are the six Kingdoms of the Classification System (Archeobacteria, Monera, Protista, Fungi, Plantae and Animalia)?
- What are some examples of organisms found in each of the six Kingdoms of classification?
- How does each organism in every Kingdom perform homeostasis?